With a wheel-on trainer the tyre of your bike will bring the resistance unit in motion. It is important to set this up in the right way as it will improve your indoor experience (power measurement, noise and cycling feeling). Please see below for some tips, tricks and help on setting up your wheel-on trainer.
Our recommended tyre pressure is 8 bar (110 PSI).
Pressure of roll against the tyre
All the Tacx wheel-on trainers are equipped with the same mounting system. The mounting system consists of two adjustable components. A turning knob and a lever. Please take the following steps to set-up the trainer:
- Please make sure that the resistance unit is mounted to the trainer frame in the correct position. Please check the trainer manual or check the setup video here
- Press the lever downwards, the resistance unit will move closer to the tyre
- Adjust the turning knob for the roller to slightly touch the tyre
- Now turn the knob 3 or 4 full strokes to press the roller against the tyre
Regular tyre vs trainer tyre
It is highly recommended to use a special trainer tyre (designed for indoor use) instead of a regular tyre (designed for outdoor use) on your trainer setup. The trainer tyre is specially designed to withstand the high pressure and high temperatures arising while training. Using an indoor tyre will have the following benefits:
- Wear of the tyre, the compound of a regular outdoor tyre will wear very quickly.
- Slippage, where on the road you want to have the least resistance or drag as possible, on your trainer you would like to prevent slippage as much as possible. The trainer tyre minimizes the slippage between the tyre and the roller.
- Noise reduction; the trainer tyre is designed without a profile, meaning that it has a smooth surface. This smooth surface reduces the sounds production between tyre and roller. Besides a smooth surface it increases the contact surface between tyre and roller to maximize the grip.
For best performance we advise to exchange the training tyre each year.
Note: It is possible to use an outdoor tyre on a trainer, however please check before use that there are no small stones or other irregularities on the tyre which can damage the trainer
Tips & tricks
- Please do not use your feet to press against the lever on the resistance unit, there is a risk of damaging the trainer
- When you are experiencing slippage between tyre and roller please do the following;
- Check your tyre pressure and the pressure of the roller against the tyre. See above for instructions.
- You could try to clean the tyre with white-spirit
- Blue tyre dust coming from my trainer tyre. The tyre is slipping. Please increase pressure and resistance
- When you have a 29 inch wheel, please use T1397 trainer tyre size in order to fit the wheel to the trainer
Warning: Do not use an indoor tyre outside. This is very dangerous!